Okay. It’s Super Bowl Sunday. What better time for a taste off between six Northwest Scottish Ales? Here are the competitors for today.
- Pelican Brewing Company, Pacific City, OR
- Pike Brewing Company – Seattle, WA
- Silver City Brewing Company – Silverdale, WA
- Dick’s Brewing Company – Centralia, WA
- Yakima Brewing Company – Yakima, WA
- Port Townsend Brewing Company, Port Townsend, WA
Honorable mentions should go to Elk Head Brewing (Buckley, WA) and Black Raven Brewing (Redmond, WA). Both have delicious Scottish Ales – but not in bottles yet so we did not taste test them today – but we will be visiting them soon I am sure.
The ales are poured. Let the tasting begin.
As you can see color is not a defining element of a Scottish Ale. We judged based on the quality of the pour (and head retention), aroma, initial taste, finishing taste and consistency in flavor paired with foods on subsequent samples. Some took more sampling than others.
And the winner is . . .
Port Townsend Scotch Ale.
All the beers were good. Disagree? Send me a note.